This has everything you would want in a post-apocalyptic broadcast receiver device. The perfect device for anyone interested in being useful in an Open Source Emergency Response kind of way. Here's what Radio Shack has to say:
Stay informed during emergencies.
Listen to local or worldwide programs on this AM/FM/shortwave radio. The emergency crank generator provides light and radio power without batteries, making it a must-have for emergencies. It can also charge wireless phones using the included phone tips. Telescopic antenna provides superior signal tuning.
- Vernier fine-tuning knob for accurate analog tuning on Shortwave 1 and 2
- 360° telescopic antenna for superior signal tuning
- Dynamo recharging red LED indicator
- Get information, light and wireless phone power when you need it most
What's in the box
- Emergency Crank Radio with built-in rechargeable battery
- USB Cable + 4 tips (for Siemens, Sony Ericsson, Samsung & Nokia)
- Owner's manual
One thing they don't make clear is that is can be used to charge your phone (that's what the USB is for). So if you're stuck somewhere, you turn the crank and can hear AM, FM, and shortwave radio AND charge your phone to make your last-ditch calls.
If we would have had this in WWI, we never would have lost. Oh yeah, I forgot-- we won WWI. Anyway, it's a great radio.