Ranalli's Not Cool Enough, Closed by Health Department
Ranalli's has no immediate need for their discarded minced garlic, since they were closed today by the Health Department.
North Side Restaurant Shut Down By City Health Department
Multiple Health Code Violations
A North Side restaurant remains closed today after being shut down yesterday when Chicago Department of Public Health (CDPH) inspectors discovered non-compliance with orders to eliminate an infestation of fruit flies and house flies.
Ranalli’s Up North, 1522 W. Montrose, (http://www.ranallisupnorth.com/) also was cited for a faulty reach-in cooler that was only able to chill to 50 degrees---10 degrees below the 40 degrees required by law. A number of items in the cooler, found to be at 49-54 degrees, were ordered discarded. (Milk, ricotta cheese, sour cream, anchovies, minced garlic and french dressing.)
The restaurant also was cited for a non-functioning employee restroom (the toilet did not flush).
Today’s inspection was no surprise to staff at Ranalli’s. CDPH inspected on July 22, ordered them to eliminate the fly infestation, and warned them that they would be back to inspect in about a week.
The enforcement action was the 138th time in 2008 that Health Department inspectors have shut a food establishment for violations of the Chicago Health Code. In addition to having their business license confiscated, representatives of Ranalli’s Up North will have to explain themselves at an administrative hearing on September 4 and pay fines expected to total $1,500.
Chicagoans who believe that a restaurant or any other licensed food establishment is operating in an unsafe manner are encouraged to report it by calling 311 or visiting www.cityofchicago.org.